View Single Post
      05-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #61
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I won't get too upset that you reading comprehensions sucks, and notice how you feel the need to attack and make judgments about ///M3 owners, when no one has done that about 1-series owners........I am not comparing the ///M3 to the 911 buddy, I'm comparing the history, and tradition behind the two models. Its why cars in each of their classes that outperform them, still don't receive the same reverence. We're not delusional, you don't know most of the ///M3 owners, and it sounds like its not their delusional, its just that you don't take the time to listen to what people are saying.

I hated 335i owners that spent hours justifying how their tuned versions were better than an ///M3, and I OWNED one of those tuned cars and I knew there were / are nuts. One is not BETTER THAN THE OTHER, they have different purposes......different strokes for different folks. Now the threads of "the 1M is better than the ///M3" have now begun. Funny part is, I never, ever saw a thread saying "the ///M3 outperforms the ///M5 or ///M6". You know why? Because ///M3 owners don't care, they love their cars and realize that they can't be compared to the vaunted ///M5.

So why is there is a group of 1-series guys that feel inclined to dance around screaming about how on one or two tracks the 1M performs better than the ///M3? WHO CARES? Why are the magazines comparing them? They don't compare the e90 ///M3 to the ///M5 do they? I just don't get it. Its like the Cayman vs. 911 discussions, I don't understand them.....or maybe I do, maybe the 911 and //M3's are the benchmarks in each of their worlds, so everyone wants to compare things to them......

That is why I wrote the response I did, and I why I crafted this one.

Cheers,
e46e92
I never said anything about the 1 being better than a 3 or outperforming it. I cant make that judgement until I drive both cars. Nor am I here to make that judgement. I buy what I like and everyone should do just that.

Perhaps you dont see that about the 3 vs 5 or 6 because the 5 or 6 are completely different cars. The 1 and 3 are not SO different. A 135 is a 335 in a smaller lighter package, a 335 is not that package of a 535. No one really cross shops M3 with M5. Different cars, different demographics. Cayman/911 is a different story, but again if the smaller package gives the results one wants, why spend more and get the bigger one? Its not about affordability, I could have bought an M3 cash when I bought the 135, I drove it and it didnt appeal to me. If I dont get the 1M ill be getting a GT3 RS, hopefully the 4.0. Im not looking at a 1M because I cant afford a 3. Did all M3 owners buy 3s because they cant afford 5s? Its M3 owners who are posting these remarks that 1M buyers couldnt afford an M3, and making judgments of them, not the other way around as your post suggests.

As far as heritage, the M3 heritage does not compare to the 911s, you are talking about 20 so years versus 50-60 years, and I dare say the M3 has veered off course in that short time. The GT coupe the E9x is, is a huge departure from what the E30 is/was. In its segment the M3 may be the leader, but its not a supercar as some have mentioned. A Mustang has more history than an M3, but you dont dare mention a Ford in the same sentence do you? I didnt compare a Mustang to an M3 so save yourself the reply on that.

I listen to what people are saying... people are discounting a car because it has the same wheels or other parts as your so revered M3. If your car is so great then a smaller lighter car with the SAME parts that make your car so great wouldnt be hated on so much. Looks are subjective, you nor anyone has to like the 1. I personally think the M3 looks like a Grand Am, but Im not running around discounting the car because it looks like a Pontiac. I dont think you will ever find a post on any forum by me saying such. Why? because it doesnt matter what I think it looks like and what it looks like doesnt change how it performs.

I said numerous times its a great car, but lets not bow down to it as the be all end all of "supercars". Slap an M3 badge on the back of a 128, and watch people say "nice M3 dude". If you bought it for the attention, youre a poser anyways. Again, I am not suggesting you did, but someone mentioned the attention they get in the car as if that validates anything.
Appreciate 0