You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
That, of course, is your preference. It's your car, you're paying for it.

But, to relegate DCT as simply providing perfect rev matches and being able to drive while drinking a cup of joe, I think you are missing the point.

You can drive any cars with MT (obviously on cars that have MT available, that is). I mean, if having the satisfaction of rowing your own gears is your thing, you can do that with pretty much any car. But, why give up on such an amazing technology as DCT when it's available? E9x M3's 6MT is a merely-ok MT. There are cars with better MT out there. Compared to the fantastic S65 motor and E9x chassis, 6MT is a mere-ok technology. Put S65, DCT & E9x chassis together, and IMHO, you have a package that's firing on all cylinders, so to speak. This has nothing to do with DCT shifting faster or whatever.

When you're driving a car like this at its peak or near-peak performance, wherein you're concerned with weight shifts as you brake into and then accelerate out of apexes, correcting oversteers, managing grip versus slip angles, etc, etc, putting the tranny into appropriate gears by shifting MT or DCT is relatively unimportant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you into staying with DCT. As I said, it's your car, you do what you want. But, it's just amazing to see people preferring a plain-vanilla 6MT on a car that has other, better (IMHO) option. And, this whole 6MT-vs-DCT issue gets clouded when people who just learned how to drive MT gets their heads ballooned with an over-inflated sense of accomplishment and sophomorically characterize DCT as being for soccer moms, or people who don't want to or aren't capable of learning MT, or it's for tracking only, etc.

When you've driven all kinds of cars over the years, both MT & otherwise, it's just mind-boggling, how a person can grossly-oversimplify & brush off DCT.

Jezuz, calm down. I didn't read ibmike's post as being focused on the cost.

And, they're not both great. 6MT is found on all sorts of other cars too. Nothing special. The reason for your perception that it's great is due to the S65 motor.
Whatever man. I have both. If you like DCT, then get DCT. Im not a racer, so I don't care what is technically faster. I already admitted I felt the DCT is a better "over all" transmission, but IMO, its BORING. Period. If you don't like what I think, oh well. Because frankly, I could care less what you think is better. I bought what I LIKE. Not what YOU LIKE. Understand? Good.

There is nothing wrong with liking what you like. The problem is; when you start telling me your choice is better because you choose one option over another. Get over yourself.