View Single Post
      04-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #50
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
I've driven the car and I'm interested in it because I want a luxury sedan with world class performance. It could be lighter but that would sacrifice some of the characteristics I paid 70K for. If I tried to make it a little lighter with after market parts it would sacrifice a lot more of the characteristics I paid for with very little weight gain (150 lbs, seriously). After market fit and finish is never close to factory for obvious reasons. If I was looking for a lightweight car I wouldn't buy an M3 (it's too big!) I'd look for a Lotus or an Ariel or I'd buy a frame from Factory Five and build my own. You will wind up with a car that looks like an M3 but will have the fit and finish and interior quality of a Subaru WRX STI but weigh a couple hundred pounds more. This car is brand new, are you really going to trust the very limited opinions you get on fit, finish and quality of after market body parts? I hope you loose the weight and retain the quality. The car is heavy because of it's size (you aren't addressing that) and it's quality. Carbon fiber body panels are lightweight but after market ones will not fit as good.

Best of Luck. I'll leave you alone.
Having been down this road, I agree completly.