View Single Post
      07-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #74
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Been reading and watching a lot of the 2012 GTR videos from Motortrend, Motorweek, Top Gear, Fifth gear, etc and all of them concluded with good reviews. It outruns supercars almost twice it's price. It's practically a budget supercar!

$47K down is a lot man. Baller status right there! I was planning on getting a used 2012 GTR next year, put $15-$20k down and finance the rest. My credit is good so I hope Nissan will give me the lowest interest rate possible.

I like the 2012 GTR since it's already fast out of the box. I have been driving a manual for as long as I know and wanted to try and track a car try with paddle shifters this time around. I know it's less involving because of it's AWD and modern elecronics taking over, but it ends up being a lot easier to drive around the track. With all the help from the electronics, taking corners will be a lot easier and that translates to more confidence. I prefer something like that compared to driving a car that's fast and brutal but you end up exhausted, tired and feeling like you just had a wrestling match at the end of each track session. If I get bored with the power, power mods will definitely be considered. In stock form however, the GTR is a force to be reckoned with. Shit, I sounded like a Star Wars fanatic right there. LOL! Hahhaha.

Thanks for the input man.

You should consider that when you track, [depending on how hard you push it] you'll be doing a year's maintenance in a weekend. (THAT is baller... because it will add up fast.)

The flappy paddles will bore you. They bore me, and I love stick too. I suspect you'll be hating the paddles too.

AWD is actually fun. It lets you haul ass from a dead stop, and you can whip the car around extra hard with the power down, and just pull like a beast through every turn. To me, way more fun than spinning wheels in RWD, or having to 'chill' for turns.

The fancy electronics are really just the MFD. For all the talk about fancy this and that, it's just traction control. I usually set it to R anyways, and it gives you enough to go sideways.

I've thought about selling mine, and getting a 2012, but I'm not sure it'll be worth it. My particular 2009 has been really reliable, and there's no telling what you're stepping into.

Fundamentally, the 2009-2012 change boils down to : tyres, alignment [note : includes more caster, which needs hardware to mimic in a 2009], intake, cats, and tune. All stuff that's less expensive to mod than the cost difference from 2009-2012 - but maybe not less expensive enough to bother. There'll be more used 2012's out there to switch to later on, but going back to the 'lack of stick', I'm not sure I'd want to stay in the GTR for that long.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0