01-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: '12 M3, '09 335

Exclamation Beware: Keyhole deletes!

Hey guys,
So I've had a keyhole delete on my 335i car since 2009 and I didn't have any problems, except once where my car died and I had to crawl through the trunk to open the hood.

BUT, with my 2012 M3, I didn't know that they removed the keyholes for the trunks and I just got back from a 2.5 week vacation and my car was dead (I didn't put it on my trickle charger because I literally just got the car, so I thought the battery would be fine).

So, at first, I thought to myself, "no worries, I'll just crawl through the trunk". I get to the trunk and I find that there is no keyhole. Then I start freaking out because now there is no keyhole anywhere and my keyhole delete didn't have the locking mechanism behind it.

After searching the web for some possibilities for a fix, I couldn't find anything. So I took the chance and tried to dremel out the key hole delete. It was a stressful process because I didn't want to scratch the door or door handle. I eventually got it, but I will never put a keyhole delete back in the car. I just put back my regular keyhole.

IMO, it isn't worth the trouble if you don't have a keyhole in the trunk and I wouldn't recommend putting one in for anyone thinking about it.

Here's a picture of my mutilated keyhole delete:

Hope this helps,
Matt
Appreciate 0