View Single Post
      09-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #29
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxis View Post
How many e9x 335s have done 11.2 or less, much less trapped 127+?

Whats truly amazing is that in 6 months of development time they are reaching similar levels of performance that has taken our platform 5 years to get to.
I'd imagine the N54 is a vastly more complicated engine being controlled by much more sophisticated controls. That's not to say that what drives the BRZ is simple. But look at the markets that follow the cars as well. I'd fully expect much more R&D in a shorter time frame into a car that's 1/3 the cost of a 335i new, because there is probably going to be 3x as many of them on the market in the longer run.

Aftermarket development, especially quick development, has always followed cheap power. Look at the Mustang and LS market. Some of the cheapest power you can get AND some of the biggest variety in aftermarket parts. Heck, one company had a blower for the new 5.0 Coyote motor out within like 2 months of the 2011 Mustang being out.

The fact that there aren't a ton of 335i's in the low 11's doesn't negate the fact that there is a wide gap between a car running low 11's and even high 10's.

I'm not, by any means, diminishing the awesomeness of this development for the BRZ, but in the same token I don't think it's yet in the same league to be viewed as a replacement for what a 650rwhp 335i can deliver. It's quite possible that in another 6 months they'll be there. Just have to wait and see I suppose.
Appreciate 0