01-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #16
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
The Speed3 and A3 are two more to check out this weekend - looks like I have a busy day Saturday. Even the Scooby merits a look.
I just hate making these kinds of decisions... always worried I'll make the wrong one and regret it later.

On the way home from work today instead of debating "what car do I want", I was thinking "what don't I like about my car?" Everyone thinks I'm crazy for this, but I know you guys can understand; after owning a BMW, everything else (in my budget) feels so disconnected from the road.

Really, my two issues with the E90 are the fact that it's a sedan (I prefer two doors), and the 45k mileage. In reality, the mileage is high, but not insane for a two year old car. And since I bought it new, I know how it's been driven, service history, etc.
The reason for dumping it would be to cut my expenses, and invest more into savings.
Not sure if this is an option (don't see why it wouldn't be) but I was thinking I could refinance for what I owe - plus the money I need for the extended warranty/maintenance. That way I could stay in a BMW, a car that I'm confident in it's ability to last, and I could lower my monthly payments.

The other thing I began thinking about would be to get an E36 M3s.
The lower mileage ones - under 75k, seem to be around $20k. It's already taken it's biggest depreciation; and even if I drop $5k into it for repairs, it's still cheaper then any of the new cars. In theory, I should pay it off faster then it depreciates further.

My concern is what's the upkeep like on them once they hit the six-digit level? Also, are there any specific years to stay away from? Basically, is it a smart move to get a 75k mile car as a daily driver? I need something that'll provide 3 or so years of fun/reliable transportation.