View Single Post
      06-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #81
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
If you want to arbitrarily pick magazines to quote as "evidence" of something then how about quote the fact that 9 out of 10 *head to head comparison articles*, both in the US and the EU, pick the M3 as a winner *and* point out that its cheaper, over the RS5?
OK. I've apparently missed about a half-dozen comparisons, but all I've seen have the M3 winning. That's fine with me, but (and this is a serious question) which test had the Audi in front? I'm curious, since in my opinion most of these testers value back-road banditry above most other things, and that is an area where the M3 excels, as is the case with most other bimmers.

Quote:
I get it. You love the RS5 and feel it is superior to the M3. Thats great and its fantastic that anyone who can afford an RS5 can afford either car since the RS5 is actually more expensive.
You in fact don't get it at all. I have a great deal of respect for both cars, but don't love either one. Audi does in fact seem to be on a recent roll, though, with the S4 beating up on the 335i (and is), the S6 whipping both the E63 and the M5, and the S8 apparently being the luxury assassin of choice.

Quote:
It's pretty much all subjective though, and disingenuous to try to cherry pick objective stats taken from different drivers on different days to "prove" there is a clear winner. If it were so "clear", the M3 wouldnt have won *any* head to head (much less pretty much all of them)
From a strict performance perspective, it ain't subjective at all. I recently had a run-in with another, ahem, BMW fan, and challenged him to back up his statement about M3s routinely beating up on RS5s from a performance standpoint. Result? Zip. Nada.

I did in fact say in that string that I thought the M3 would beat up on the RS5 out on the highway, though.

Quote:
I know I know... BMW pays them all off. Unless there is a test where the BMW doesnt win (like the current F30 head to heads) in that case the tests are fair and I guess BMW forgot to mail in the check.
What?

Look, those who know me know that I don't give a damn about any automotive manufacturer, and that I am in fact a promiscuous fanboy, finding something to like in just about any car.

The fact is that the M3 is the absolute best back road ballet dancer measured against its competition, and for some, that may be all they need. For others, not so much.

For me, the 1 series is the best of BMW, with the sport-packaged 128 being the one of choice. Great turn-in and tossability, classic sound, and cheap to run.

Bruce
Appreciate 0