View Single Post
      03-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Looking for Sales Guy in Orlando Area

I have been lurking around looking for for a few months. I've settled on buying an E90 2009+. I want a new one, but the wife will probably determine new or used depending on the price tag (she's not aware of the sticker for a new one...yet). I'm hoping to get her to the dealership with me during a test drive. I can be pretty convincing.

I've decided this is the car I'm going to buy despite the fact that I have never driven one. I booked an appointment with the local dealer on www.bmwusa.com about a month ago to drive a 335i. There is no option to select an M3 for a test drive. Once I received the call-back from the dealer, I made my intentions clear. "I want to drive a 335i manual and an M3 manual." The girl said she needed to check, puts me on hold, and then replied, "Not a problem, we'll have them ready for you." So I drive to the dealer, and the sales manager comes out to shake my hand. He grabs the first sales guy that walks by and makes the introduction. It was as if they weren't expecting me despite two appointment confirmation calls. Anyway, the sales guy and I start talking, and I explain the reason for my visit. He proceeds to tell me they don't have a manual 335i and they don't have an M3 other than the one in the show room with DCT that they just washed, and it wouldn't be available for me to test drive. He then proceeds to start asking me why in the world I would want a manual when a sport auto is far superior. I have a fault of being super nice and didn't make my extreme dissatisfaction known. I just asked if there was something I could drive since I came all the way over there. I ended up driving a 335i auto, which helps me zero. I indulged the guy and ended up leaving after finding out that most BMW sales guys know very little about the products they are selling no matter how long they have been with the company.

I made a specific trip by the other dealership that is owned by the same people. They had two used coupes on the lot. There was a slight drizzle and the sales guy proceeds to tell me that they don't test drive M cars in the rain. I again am too nice to raise a stink, so I gave him my car and asked him to call when he thought there was a better time. Of course, he never called, even though I would call me back after seeing the line of business that I'm in. I've been in retail sales, so I have a warm spot for sales guys. I just don't understand these guys.

So, I decided that maybe it's just those two dealerships the suck. Currently, I'm sure these guys are struggling to sell cars, so I don't understand why my phone is not wringing off the hook from these guys trying to sell a car.

I made a call this morning to another dealer that is outside of town the owns two dealerships. I thought I'd try another tactic. I asked the receptionist if I could possibly speak to whom she thought was an enthusiast and is someone she thinks has the most BMW knowledge. She thought I was speaking a foreign language. She puts me on hold and then a guy picks up. I start explaining I would like to test drive a manual M3 and possibly a manual 335i. He then states that they only have a '08 SMG coupe on the lot. I said, "You mean DCT right?" He didn't respond. I know I'm nit picking here, but come on! I thanked him for his time and hung up.

I GIVE UP!!!

I already know just about all I need to know about the car, but I really hate lazy sales people that don't take the time to learn the details about the product they are selling. How can you not know every single detail about the 10 models you are selling? It's not hard. I don't want to teach them about the product. I don't need to be sold, but I also don't want to give my business to the typical idiot. I know I sound demanding here, but other than the test drive I haven't spent more than 5 minutes of their time.

Can someone help me find someone that is an enthusiast that knows the product he is selling and isn't going to BS his way through a conversation within 250 miles of Orlando?

Thanks

Last edited by Money2536; 03-18-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0