View Single Post
      08-22-2007, 03:15 AM   #16
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
A few things are clear from these numbers. But much is unclear as well. The table below ASSSUMES we see a similar hp loss in the E92 M3 compared to the E60 M5.
  • Torque and power losses are definitely rpm dependent and software like CarTest captures this effect. Losses are predicted as linear across a given rpm range from a minimum number to a maximum. The loss numbers I list in the table are min/max numbers across in a max acceleration run in 2nd gear.
  • The 335i is clearly under-rated. We all know this. The drivetrain loss at peak hp and peak torque loss is just too low. However, it only takes a stated crank hp number of 312 hp to get to the M5 drivetrain loss number.
  • The massive losses of the RS4 AWD system on both tq and hp is clear
  • The hp losses for the E46 M3 seem too high. This car has performance figures that hint at a bit of under-rating as well but the transmission losses point to an over-rating
  • CarTest software NAILS the 0-60, 1/4 mi time and trap speed perfectly for the RS4 (test ref.) CT/actual 4.6/4.6, 13.2/13.2, 104/104. Note the great agreement between average CT predicted hp loss and measured peak loss. Anyway you look at the losses CT matches better on the RS4 than any of the BMWs.
  • CarTest generally uder-predicts performance for E46 M3, E60 M5 and 335i but still does quite well for the E92 M3 despite the disparity in CT losses vs. measured losses
I have nor included any loss predictions for the 335i from CarTest as becuase mentioned in a previous post no matter how much I tweak hp and tq numbers I can't get a good simulation vs. actual from CarTest. The known under-rating doesn't help...
  • The E46 M3 is indeed said to be over-rated. Really good performance numbers did only have the very early cars. The later model years weren't that quick...
  • We can't say how good the predictions for E92 M3 are, since there aren't real performance tests out yet.
BTW: The drivetrain loss for the M5 was only 7% referring wheel power. That would result in 390 PS at the wheels for M3. But the M3 reaches it's peak power at higher revvs than the M5, so the drivetrain loss should be also higher at 8300rpm.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0