01-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #524
MPoweredAuto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, e90 M3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Detonation is not always visible by pitting marks, it depends on the alloy the piston is made of. As for the ring lands/rings, we didn't get a chance to see them so no one can say if there was damage or not.

I only said that this was "possible" it was detonating and I am not saying it was a definite. By looking at a bunch of pictures no one can tell with any amount of certainty if this is the case.

Either way, the engine does look like it was running a little lean.
The piston was split in half and the rings were damaged as a result. I wish I had documented the tear down as specifically as possible, but at the time it was disassembled we didn't take detailed pics...

As for it being a dealer demo, it was in fact the sales managers car at a reputable dealership who traded up for a 7 series. He didnt spark me as the type to abuse a car.

With all that said, I have other important endeavors to attend and am once again out of town. I am currently in S. Florida, where I am planning to relocate. I will post up data findings when pulled from the DME on Monday/Tuesday when I am back in NC.
Appreciate 0