View Single Post
      06-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #48
Eddy@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Sadly lug bolt and stud failure is not uncommon if you hang out around the track long enough. It has ruined track days for numerous friends over the years. Even a single failure is scary/unsettling. One goes and the rest can follow. I have seen OEM lugs, Extended lugs, and studs fail. That goes from cheap stuff to the best stuff made by ARP.

The reality is that all mounting hardware (OEM included) should be considered a consumable when your driving a car hard like at the track. The parts life cycle just depends on how much abuse it sees. Most amateur racers are replacing their studs every 2 seasons (2 years). Many replace yearly. I've seen regular lugs/studs fail after a few events, but the ones with issues have generally been on the car for a while. Which is why they should be replaced every season or two if you want to avoid a big problem caused by a small part.

I've personally never had a failure of any kind (knock on wood), but I check my torque specs throughout the day, and I avoid over torquing the hardware. I've always used studs on track from day one.

Examples of failure that happened just recently to others:

Use of a 10mm spacer with a chamfered hub extension with a wheel that has no chamfered center bore. This resulted in the wheel floating above the spacer and the mounting hardware was stressed by the bowing of the wheel when bolted down.

stud backing out from not enough locktite or improper stud installation torque spec

Using the same mounting hardware for years, at numerous events and daily driving. (this one happens a lot)

Last edited by Eddy@ApexWheels; 06-08-2011 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: added more detail
Appreciate 0