View Single Post
      01-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
R68
Maverick-y
Rep
Drives: M Uber Alles

E90 owners MUST READ

The chrome piece will not separate w/o removing the torx screw. I would advise all e90 owners to abort this particular mod. The e92 removal methods do not work for the e90. I ended up going to my dealer to check the parts diagrams on how to remove the grill. BMW says to use the BMW plastic cards (like a credit card) and a zip tie!!! The diagram shows: insert the card between the grill and quarter panel to disengage the tabs, then stick a zip tie in/out of the honeycomb and yank on the whole assembly!!! Ya right, it took bruit strength from two of us only after removing the wheel, wheel well and washer fluid reservoir just to get behind the passenger side grill. After finally getting the assembly out, the only way to swap the chrome part out is to damage it by squeezing the tabs with channel locks. After seeing how impenetrable this grill was and the potential for damaging the car, I just put everything back and returned the grills to JLevi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
Proper removal will leave the honeycomb part you mention in place. It is not supposed to come out. See if you can separate the chrome piece from the black casing. There are several tabs that hold it to the black casing. If you can access these tabs from the back you should be able to get them separated.