08-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #18
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
Agreed. The article states an investigation was launched after the complaint was made. The police probably caught him speeding again.

That being said, it is not uncommon for such information to be used as evidence (I have some experience in IT-based litigation support). It's definitely not hearsay if the OP was the one making the statement (which is fairly easy to reconcile using IP and account information - all you need to do is look at the IP login information, which I'm sure Bimmerpost keeps, and go to your local ISP, and see which neighbourhood/account the IP was released to. This is ridiculously easy to do). It could definitely be used to show a history of reckless behaviour, and if the 'old man' was found, the posting could be used to corroborate the account of events.
The related news video says the police were able to obtain info on his car from the forum posts and then got eye witness reports from people on the street. Sounds like they simply gathered info from the M5 forum on his identity, used his "confession" and then the eye witness accounts confirming the events sealed the deal
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0