04-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooterbrah View Post
Hey longboardedr I've followed ya with your airstrip runs and all, so I know you're seasoned when it comes to boosted M's. Is there any proof of this? I was over at *********** with the same inquiry and i got this from over there.

from akh23456
"From my experience i did the "poor mans" launch a lot and barely used LC because of the stress is cause(5 times max).I actually broke the record for fastest ET doing the "poor mans" launch but it got broken by VAC later. I had over 300+ times at the 1/4 mile with my M when i had it. I recently sold it but my DCT felt the same from the day i bought it."

from LostMarine
"i know who is claiming what on LC and poor mans LC.. The same people have no experience other than this car, and have been seen doing things that should have blown the car up while at the track. oddly, they made it home, but not much longer all things equal, poormans LC will be less stressful on clutches, but possibly more stressful on other internals. imprtant because noone has had to replace anything besides clutches. the other question, is if it is more useful to do poor mans LC and real LC.
Currently, LC has shown better results for me, but thats because of tires used.. ill be testing this theory again shortly with even variables"

from Sticky
"Launch control is far more wear and tear. I used the clutches up in 10k miles due to it."

So it looks like once again im getting conflicting answers. They are saying over there that poor mans is less wear and tear compared to using factory LC.
IIRC there was some in-depth analysis posted in this forum in the Engine section a while back but I didn't subscribe to it, so it might be hard to find. Perhaps searching or posting in that section will help locate it. There are a couple guys like DLSJ5 and 1SICKM who would know better than I.

From what I remember, on a stock car, it seemed like either method would be ok for the car (not good but not something that would kill the DCT either); but once you increase torque levels substantially with the S/C, there is a lot more torque and therefore more load on the clutches...so either method is giong to be a lot harder and cause more wear. And again from what I remember, using LC was easier on the clutches vs the poor man's method with increased torque levels as LC allowed for a progressive "slipping" (i.e. less torque load) vs the entire torque onset from poor man's method. All of this is assuming DR's...as with street tires you are just going to spin anyway and that's not really hard on the DCT since the energy is being expended.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0