02-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
There is one more thing that came to mind.....When I do pre-race tech inspections on E9X vehicles, I have to try to move the wheels in every axis using hand pressure from outside the vehicle. I am sure you've seen techs tugging your wheels, you know what I mean?

Anyway, I had to fail a few of those models because one of the wheels can have a LOT of front to back movement. (usually just one) It is almost like the toe-control links have gone soft. I swear that i moved one 2 inches once!! That can had the same mileage as yours but was not an M.

I wonder if this may be playing a part? In the morning, go out to your M, and grab the front wheels and look for play. Something like that would not show up on an alignment, but can produce tire cupping and shimmy!!!

Hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is when the dealer just shrugs their shoulders!
This maybe true of non-M control arms..but the M arms use sealed delrin bearings...very durable..so unless you have hit something or have a ton of miles..I would not suspect the control arms.
Appreciate 0