Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiognome View Post
What would be a recommended set up for a stock 2008 e93 for Auto-X? I was thinking about getting 18'' wheels with square 265/35 or 275/35, but very confused with all the spacers, rubbing, and offsets questions because people always discuss e90/e92 and I'm not sure how e93 body and weight difference would work. Also not sure if the square set up is ideal for Auto-X. Bunch of questions =)
I AX my E92 with the 18x10" square set up with 275/35s. It's a great set up, with no rubbing. It's also my summer street set up.

The Apex set up eliminates spacers, which are only needed when people buy wheels not designed for their cars, or want to alter the offset for looks. With Apex you avoid that added weight and complication.

The square set up allows you to trail brake deeper into the corners. The unloaded turn-in with a staggard set up feels better, but for AX you don't want to turn-in unloaded. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then staggard vs. square won't matter to you anyway.

I don't know the weight distribution of the E93 vs. the E92, but I suspect that it has a little more rear weight bias. If so, then it'll rotate more easily. I know that the E93 has a slightly larger rear sway bar, so the balance may actually be very close. It's probably something that you can tune with tire pressures to suit your driving style. I use the Dunlop Direzzas and run 34/28 F/R. Until you know your car on the course, I'd suggest starting at around 34/32 and adjusting from there.

Please report back after an event or two.

M3 with new wheels and tires by dcstep, on Flickr

Dave