View Single Post
      09-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #62
jaeS4
Private
Rep
Drives: s4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
So if it's not a manual, and its not a automatic, then what do you call it?

answer: DCT

No one is saying that the paddle shifting is a manual transmission interface. But the way the throttle responds to the gear shifts DOES feel like a manual. You can notice that the car would even roll back on a hill when starting from naught if the anti-rollback feature wasn't there.

Honestly, the steptronic paddle-shifting automatics kind of ruined the game for the Dual clutch trannies because they blurred the line too much. Without them in the picture, the difference between an Automatic and a DCT/DSG is very easily discernable. Auto does it all for you, you don't even think about rpm or gears. DCT/DSG would allow you to specifically select the gear you needed and gives you control over the rpm.
Totally agree with you. We all pretty much know the differences technically between a real auto tranny and DCT, at this point i think it's a matter of perception of what anyone would consider a real manual transmission. I'm almost sure the tranny on the C63 and IS-F have rev-matching features that makes it more engaging than your usual automanual transmission. Again, i agree and know that it's not the same as the DCT. Bottomline is, a DCT is technically and mechanically a manual but every operation is done for you/driver automatically by the computer. Hence, it's an automatic, just kidding.
Appreciate 0