04-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #53
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
Simply can not get a true feel for the car with everything turned on. Im a good driver but i want to become GREAT and cant do that with nanny mode turned on.
Think the biggest thing we need is better driving corses/tests for people to even be able to drive, many parts of the world are very amused at our stupid slow speed limits but the average American is a novice driver at best.
Keeping people in a fluffy safe world with a 1000 rules to "keep you safe" leads to alot of unskilled, unequiped, unhappy people never knowing what they are capable of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtoM3 View Post
Very good point . Everything , every new rule or law is pushing our race towards stupidity instead of polishing talent and putting emphasis on filtering out inadequacies in all aspects of modern life . Dont do this , dont do that . Everything will kill you , everything is dangerous .
My main point of this entire thread is leaving DSC on for regular driving in regular situations (as an additional safety net not a fool proof nanny), but the choice of turning it off when driving with enthusiasm on a suitable road or track is entirely up to the individual.

It's for when the unexpected happens (especially in an uncontrolled environment like a busy public road), as no matter how good one's skill or awareness is, one cannot react as quickly as DSC can. Steve and Tiff would have recovered their respective vehicles if they could, and clearly, they are amongst the very best drivers in the world.

Driver training and standards play an infinitely more important role than stability systems. But leaving DSC on for where it's appropriate, is such simple task that everyone can do, which can be greatly beneficial in unquantifiable ways. Evidence backs this up, more so than the notion that DSC makes things worst by giving one the false sense of security; a bad driver will be a bad driver regardless of systems, but I did rather the bad driver have these systems in place than none at all.*

Here's Steve Sutcliffe's reply to some questions related to the first video:

1) Can you confirm that your first (out of the 3) avoidance manoeuvre was done with ESP on?

Yup, the ESP was on during that first run.

2) Was it not possible for you to regain control of the Gallardo after you performed the avoidance manoeuvre with ESC-off?(Not talking about whether you could if you attempted it again).

Not really, no; the first time I did it with ESP off I spun. And spun. By the third time I'd learned what to expect and could just about save it on the second phase of the "yours-mine, yours-mine" pantomime – but by then I would already have been deep into the undergrowth in a real world situation; you don't really get a second chance on the M1, after all. (M1 is a motorway in the UK)

3) Also, do you personally feel that stability systems have the potential to impede your interactions with a car when you are driving normally?

Sometimes, yes, ESP systems can be over intrusive, although some manufacturers are a lot better at integrating them naturally into a car's dynamic personality than others. But on a broader note, the whole point about ESP systems is that they cater for what happens when you are NOT in a normal situation; for when that tractor appears out of a sideturning etc. And in those kinds of circumstances, it is invaluable – in my opinion.

Source: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/v...-vs-esp?page=1

Again, by all means, turn everything off at a suitable time and place.

Last edited by mlhj83; 04-14-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0