View Single Post
      08-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #71
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
He didn't leave it hanging, there is only one solution...... Adding clearance!

Unfortunately adding clearance on the S65 or S85 involves removing the engine and having the crank journals ground to a diameter that will give you proper clearance. It will be a little more expensive to do this than a simple bearing swap, the thing is the bearing swaps will be an ongoing affair but adding the clearance will be a one time thing!

One thing is clear to me from your statements about oil level is that you are misunderstanding the cavitation and starvation statements as being starvation due to oil level. The S65 would probably have to be 5-6 litres low on oil before it would affect pressure and cause a starvation/cavitation issue. The sump size in the engine is 9L because it is necessary to have it that large for a number of reasons........ Cooling, de-aeration of the oil, and ability of the oil to maintain a high enough TBN make it between the long drain intervals prescribed by BMW are a few reasons. Cavitation/starvation as stated by myself and Kawasaki00 is due to the inability of the TWS to flow before it has reached operating temperatures given the tight clearance numbers used by the S65/S85.
How does the cost of replacing the bearings at 50k miles compare to pulling the whole engine and having the crank journal ground? I can only guess that replacing the bearings would be much cheaper. No?
Appreciate 0