03-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #90
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworms View Post
this is simply incorrect. there are plenty of cars out there that can, or could fit this description. that comment makes it seem like it's an impossible feat -- it's not. i think the point is missed, in that there doesn't need to be a car out there that does this already in order for bmw to do it...that has not stopped bmw in the past and shouldn't now.

so let's consider each aspect: faster, lighter, cheaper

faster: how about a GT-R? though not lighter, i don't think the enthusiasts would cry much if it was a bmw invention. or maybe a corvette. or a cayman S (while underpowered, porsche could have easily put a more powerful engine in it if it weren't for the 911), or even a mustang GT (pains me to even mention it in the same sentence). faster is typically a pretty simple equation: more power, less weight. power is easy to come by, especially with a turbo setup, so this brings us to weight...

lighter: did you know that even a prius only weighs 3042lbs?! yes, it's only got a 4 cylinder engine in it, but it has a bunch of batteries packed into it! somehow, i don't think they built that car out of carbon fiber/exotic materials to get the weight down on it and believe me, that car has a TON of safety gizmos in it! how about a corvette (3200lbs), or let's consider that a cayman S only weighs 2976 lbs and, as far as i know, it's not built of anything particularly special and even if it was, we're talking about a 500lbs difference over the M3 for not much more money!!! the cayman also has a bunch of safety features along with creature comforts you would expect from a bmw. the reason the cayman S is so expensive is because you're paying for the special porsche emblem on the car...bringing us to price.

cheaper: in my opinion the M3 is definitely not cheap, but let's assume that its current price is to be considered "cheap". cars like the GT-R are in that price range...need i say more? (remember the GT-R comes with a lot of standard features from the factory, unlike the M3). how about the CTS-V, or again the mustang GT that seriously undercuts the M3's price tag.

what i'm trying to convey is that it's a conscious choice by bmw to limit its product direction. they certainly have the ability to build what their enthusiasts want so badly, but they choose to build something that merely "keeps up with the competition", barely beating it in most cases, while increasing sales, and relying on getting people in the door by holding that prestigious badge in front of your face.
GT-R is 20% more expensive than an M3 in the UK... Cayman does not have the practicality of the M3, Mustang is cheap because it's built for the USDM - do they even sell it around the world? - same with the CTS-V - same with the Corvette?... does the M3 out perform it's closest competitors, the RS5 and the C63? usually..... Standard Cayman can be outperformed by 1 series...

last but not least.... NUMBERS DO NOT TELL YOU THE WHOLE STORY OF A CAR.

If the car you want is not an M3.. then fine, I have no problem with that... buy a different car.. but don't piss and moan because M aren't making exactly the car you want, to a magical specification you've plucked out of the air..

It would be nice if BMW gave the transparency to see where weight came from.. but for now, it's safe to assume that they know more about it than we do, and if the best they can offer is not good enough for you, then go and buy a f'in Prius, or GT-R, or Corvette..
Appreciate 0