Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92; MG TF 160; C2 VTS

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Actually, since the CF room effectively lowers the center of gravity for the total car then the effect will come into play at much lower than 110 mph assuming your going around a corner. It has little benefit in straight line performance. A well experienced drive would probably be able to tell the difference at about 40 mph in a corner, and as the number of corners increases (slalom) the benefit proportionally increases.

The M3 will have DCT, not SMG. The release date for DCT is not currently known, but most rumors say March when the M3 launches in the US. Do a forum search for DCT or M-DCT to learn more about this fantastic transmission system.
The CF roof is 5kg lighter than a steel roof, and maybe 10 (or lets say 15) kg less than a steel/sun roof. The car weighs 1580kg and is 1.42m high. Sure, a sun roof will raise the center of gravity, but by what? One or two centimeters. I wouldn't criticise someone for opting for the CF roof, but if I was criticised for getting a sunroof on my M3 (due this month), I'd say that if I wanted a track day car, I would have saved $70,000 and bought a Lotus 2-eleven.
Appreciate 0