View Single Post
      01-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #439
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Very good discussion here.

The first part is directly inline with our tests, methanol does not add much power at all unless tuned specifically for (not a great idea).

The second part however very interesting. How much power did you lose?
Sure it wasn't the regular over/under correcting correction factors taking effect?

Doesn't make any sensor for the engine to lose any power unless the inlet temp went so low that you ended up in compensation table cell where ignition is removed with low IAT's but normal coolant temps. This is however highly unlikely.

We have tested our intercoolers with no front panel on the car and ramming (close range powerful fan setup) ice cold air at them and we only gained power.

So we have only seen the regular laws of physics being followed like you have seen on the N54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Hi Sal,

I have some data which I think you will find interesting and would appreciate your feedback. But here's the summary:

My S/C kit dyno'd around 575-580 wheel STD fairly consistently on a dynojet at EAS here in SoCal. I then installed a water/meth system. After a number of "fine tuning" sessions with EAS, I finally got it to dyno in a fairly tight range at between 578-581 (initially the water/meth flow was not linear and causing power loss). IATs on all runs varied between 90 def F to ~ 125deg F. Then, I tried something - I stuck a bottle of boost juice in the freezer and then packed it on ice and brought it to EAS dyno again. My attempt was to reduce IAT's significantly (down to below 32def F). So after pouring the freezing water/meth into the tank and doing a couple runs to get the cold meth in the lines, we dyno'd and guess what...I lost power. Lower IAT's caused the opposite effect. So why did power go down when IAT's dropped? Not exactly sure because we didn't have CAN data visability.

In addition, I ran my water/meth system at a recent airstrip event when it was hot thinking it would provide me with an advantage. Nope, my car ran worse...slower 60-130s and slower compared to cars I had previously run against. I have unplugged it and not run it since.

I have a lot of data running water/meth with my 335 and the effect of cooling IATs was undeniable. While I haven't data logged my M3 with water/meth, I'm confident it reduced IATs however I'm also confident that it made my car slower.
Appreciate 0