View Single Post
      08-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #141
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I think this thread is funny.
I own a 335 and have owned multiple M cars.
You can get a 335, at least now with DCT. No limited slip unless you put it in yourself.
The suspension on a 335 can be upgraded to get you the same performance as an M3 and it doesn't cost a fortune. As a matter of course, the M cars I owned all got aftermarket suspension because BMW doesn't do great factory suspension, the do good suspensions that work for most people.

Coilovers and urethane upgrades can keep a 335i planted just as firmly as a stock M3.

The M3 engine is a great engine but lacks torque and is just plain bad in the way of fuel management. Same with the V10 M5. There is a reason they got hit with a gas guzzler tax. Nothing quite sounds like the engines at WOT, but then nothing quite drinks gas like them either, except maybe Lambo and F cars.

Don't get me wrong, I love the V8 and V10.
But also don't think that everyone with a 335 didn't get an M because they couldn't afford it. That is a bad assumption. I passed on the M this time because it just wasn't twice the car for almost twice the money ( I bought my 335i used).

I've been the route with the "Only Real M3", the E30. (Flame suit on). It was hand built and the engine rebuild done right costs as much as replacing the whole car because very few people knew how to rebuild the engine correctly and they charged for that knowledge.

The M3 is a great car with a great sounding engine and a great look, but lets all not be fooled into thinking that a properly tuned 335i won't clean the clock of a stock M3 if you get caught sleeping.
Appreciate 0