08-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #46
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTurhee View Post
the dealer did all the repair work including the body work however none of that was in the service history when my local dealer pulled it up, carfax had nothing on it either. The sale person said he did not know either until he asked around. Right now I have 2 options, they'll allow me to return the car or they'll give me $2000 plus $500 for the replacement of a front control arm and what my SA called a "L piece". What should I do?

$47k for a 2008 AW/extended beige coupe with 3666 miles that has been totally repainted by a certified bmw collision repair facility and every single option available on the 08 model except m-dct and park distance control. One thing that does worry me is that the left strut tower stabilizer bar seems to have been replaced. Both a private body shop and one of the best techs at my local dealer said the whoever worked on it did a very good job. Based on what the original owner told me and what the dealer I bought it from told me, the car did not have to be totally repainted.

or

Return the car and get a refund.
Return the car.

First, there's the principle of the thing--this "deal" stinks and you've got a way to gracefully exit with no long term harm to you (other than wasted time, frustration, and etc). I just wouldn't keep it on principle.

Second, 47K for a vehicle with visible damage (and potentially other damage as well--given the door fit, the suspension) is not, IMO, a good deal. Once a car sustains this type of damage it just isn't the same. What if there are other "things" such as damage you can't see, or rust in the future, etc. I recall one post here where someone had work done, then later water accumulated in some panel and shorted out the audio and caused other secondary damage. Why risk it?

Third, there's the resale/value of the car in the future.

Lastly, I don't know about you, but there's an emotional component: I would feel sour on the deal in general and the car, and I'd never have a good feeling about it.

47K is a lot of money. Find another M3 you can fall in love with and one that doesn't come with all of this baggage.
Appreciate 0