10-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #49
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadan View Post
Why can't it? BMW is no different from any other corporation. It performs research and runs tests just like every one else, and doesn't have some secret formula. Microsoft, Apple, Toyota, GM, banks, Starbucks, etc. have all failed before in their strategy of future growth. As a matter of fact, it appears the 5-GT has been an utter flop and X6 hasn't had much success either.

I don't even think BMW is developing a FWD to increase fuel efficiency (although it'll help and there was probably some consideration). The problem with BMW right now is that they're trying to build a car for everyone. That's just not my opinion, because BMW representatives have made it pretty clear that rapid sales growth is what they're aiming for. They obviously don't have that much of a competetive advantage in engineering as they once used to, so new models and market segments is one of the few ways they see themselves growing and trying to keep sales ahead of its competitors. Also we have seen recent refreshes (Z4, 7, 5) all become more luxurious and less sporty. BMW sees further growth potential from reaching more into masses than losing a few enthusiasts. The auto market in general is going through big changes. You'll find less enthusiasts in Gen X/Y compared to the baby bommer generation, and I think the market is changing accordingly. Public transportation and environmental friendliness is the new trend and probably one for the forseeable future. I think there was a recent report from the AP that said luxury autosales to younger people are down precipitously over the last decade and there's a big concern this trend is going to continue.

I understand there's a lot going on in regards to market trends and regulation, but I personally don't like where all this is going and I hope their strategy fails. No business rides high forever and if history proves correct, my wish will likely come true. BMW has really lost some of their competetive advantage, and for me personally, they're making it worse with this electric steering issue. I feel like this is the one area BMW still has an advantage, but obviously that's changing as well with the alleged debacle of the Z4 and 5 steering. I'm interested to see where all this ends up.
this is a great post^^

perhaps this will be like the A-Class though?... ok, so you own a Benz, but everyone knows you chose that one cos you were too tight for a proper one..

everyone laughs..

hopefully i can get into a porsche by the time this happens... but we shall see
Appreciate 0