View Single Post
      06-20-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
PMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw318i_95 View Post
Is he really a hero though? Was it really a selfless act? As other posters said maybe he just swerved and went out of control, to the luck of those kids that he didn't hit anybody else!! I think the media is just sentationalising (sp?) it and making him a martyr rather than just a hapless victim in an accident.
Have you ever heard the phrase "Res Ipsa Loquitor"? It means "The thing speaks for itself." This is a perfect example of a situation where that phrase applies. The driver managed to move his rig out of the traffic flow and into a ditch to avoid running over other drivers. Maybe, just maybe, it was pure dumb luck. However, the opinion of experts (the police, his company) is that his expert driving skills were the reason the truck did not plow over/through the guardrail and into oncoming traffic. So, your rhetorical question has already been answered.

My friend was rear-ended by a large truck about 10 years ago. She was stopped in traffic and the rig came over a rise only to encountered this line of stopped traffic. When the truck hit her car it sent her flying OVER the car in front of her. The truck then began an unrecoverable turn, rolled over, and crushed several other cars in other lanes. Luckily, only two people were killed. It could have been much worse. Based upon what was reported in the newspaper, the truck swerved to avoid hitting a car that had stupidly cut in front of him. If he'd hit that car, I believe it would have been much worse. As it is, he managed to avoid every other car on the road - yet you persist in questioning what has been reported.
Appreciate 0