Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
Buttonwillow Track Day with Speed District, June 1, 2012

I finally upgraded my wheels/tires and was anxious to try out my new TE37SL / R-S3 combo on the track. The day was great, I love track days with Speed District, no traffic and plenty of track time.

I also had guys at EAS reprogram my MDM to a "more aggressive" European version. The first two sessions of the day I did with MDM on, and I don't know if it was wishful thinking or maybe better grip from the tires, but MDM didn't intervene as much with my driving. I did fantastic 2:04 in the second session. Considering 100+ degree weatehr (damn it was hot!!!) and the fact that best drivers in advanced group were running 2:01-2:02 tops, I was happy. My stock brakes were beginning to melt after 10-12 minutes and I overshot braking a few times.
I was there also with new wheels/tires combo and new GC camber plates. I'm running Volks G2 square setup with 275/35/18 RS3. I didn't do as good as you. My best time at Buttonwillow is 2:08 with stock size tires (265/245) AD08. I could barely do the same with my best times in 2:08 - 2:09 range. The setup felt great but my car was overheating quite easily. I had to short shift and run lower RPM most of the day to avoid getting the warning light in the dash.

I noticed that you also have a DCT car from the pictures. Did you car overheat at all? I could get 1-2 laps going all the way and then I had to back-off. I was talking to someone else with a manual version and he seemed to not overheat as easily as me. I'm curious about your case since you seem to have run pretty good time there.
Appreciate 0