View Single Post
      08-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

I'm running Lion now. Yes you need specific parts, but it's all pretty experimental at this point. Any of the new intel core i will work, as well as Core 2 Duo. You really need to look up the hardware you may have laying around, and see what will work and what won't.

For example about hardware; When I was installing Snow Leopard I got hung up because of my DVD player and my HDD... was a good excuse to upgrade to SSD and a SATA DVD player anyway though.

As far as how hard it was, well it took a few days because I just jumped into it. I've built computers before, and have a few extras to use, so I wasn't to concerned about it being down for a while though. As long as your willing to look into your components, and read over the install process a couple times, and have a basic understanding of how computers work, it shouldn't be difficult.

I also had problems because I've never used mac before. Sure I've toyed around on one, but I didn't know what kexts were, or anything of that nature. Once I had a basic understanding of it all it was a breeze. Infact I did screw up my Lion install the first time so I had to reinstall Snow Leopard, only took maybe 2 hours to install SL on 2 partitions after I had done it once.

tonymacx86.com

There is a WEALTH of information on Tony's site, it had all the info I needed to make the switch. I'm about to order a new HP laptop from newegg, you can bet it'll be running Lion within hours of me getting it, I can't stand windows anymore!!!
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0