View Single Post
      08-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I get oil change kits from Tischer. The price isn't cheap but seems reasonable for genuine BMW parts delivered to my door.

I add 1 quart less than stated capacity regardless of what I am changing oil on. Then I get the car on a reasonably flat surface and check it. With the bimmer you have to drive until it warms up to get a reading which I do not love but it is what it is. I do not believe you can hurt any car by being 1 quart low while driving it easy. Even if you pushed it a little, you shouldn't hurt it.

I do not know if it's the indicator or what buy my 128i says it is full (completely) after 6 quarts instead of the 7 quarts supposed capacity. After a few more oil changes using the Tisher kits I will only need a filter.

The BMW oil filter kits also have a new metal washer for the drain plug - in your case I guess it plugs. You have to remove and replace a couple O-rings on the filter housing which is easier with a little screwdriver or ice pick. I use the smallest screwdriver piece on my leatherman Micra.

I got my oil filter housing wrench from Bavarian. It was cheaper than the BMW dealers and it works fine. You could use a towel on pliers or something but it seems worthwhile to me to just get the wrench. I think it was about $15.

Jim