View Single Post
      07-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
porscheguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 93 RS America

I also did not think the E46 M3 was "edgy." Actually, neither was the E36 version, though the handling/steering on that car was sublime. IMO BMW is staying truer to its roots than Porsche is. I don't know if you guys/gals read the Porsche forums, but the Porsche faithful are very upset about the wet-sump Boxster-derived engines winding up in the base 911s and the lack of limited slip. If you want a traditional Porsche, with all the serious hardware, the only model available is the GT3 and it doesn't have the rear seats. BMW talks about raising their game to compete with Porsche, but it is more the case the Porsche is gone "soft" and is wanting to widen its market. In this segment, the real performance 4 seat car is the BMW. That's why I won't buy another "run of the mill" Porsche. The new M3 will be a far superior everyday car than a Carrera S and competitive with it on a road course. Actually, I had a Carrera S and felt that you would really need to be pushing the car to finding a dynamic edge over an M product, plus it was not as visceral as it should have been nor was it very practical (unless your rear passengers are children or miniature adults).
Appreciate 0