09-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #13
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
135i vs. e46 m3

First of all the style and body of the 1 series compared to the e46... Come on the e46 wins hands down. Do not waste your money on the new 1 series that even some of these posters are saying "less maintenance, more options etc."

Now if you want a car that screams business, luxury and sporty then again the e46 will win. 1 series is ONLY for those living in cities. I stress that because you gotta parallel park all the time and you will get love tap marks on your bumper. It is obviously easier to have a smaller car in the city which is why in Europe it is a great car because streets are small and there is hardly any parking anywhere in Europe, especially Paris and London. San Francisco, New York etc. are great cities to have a 1 series. But if you have great streets (no random pot holes, bumps etc) then the m3 should be #1 on your list.

Okay so when you go out and look for one here are a few things you need to check for:

Rear bushings
Rear Frame (open trunk and look underneath where the spare tire would be and look for cracks. If none then you are good)
And maintenance receipts, service inspections done etc.

I own a 2005 e46 m3 and the most expensive thing I have paid for so far is Inspection II and tires.

Trust me I have driven both also and the m3 is worth all the money. I skipped out on trading my e46 for the e92 because I knew the e46 was still a great car IMHO. Decided to just save money, invest etc. and be ready for the 2014 F30 model to buy again.

The 1 series is seriously boring and those people out there saying it is a fun sports car have probably never driven an M car. Everyone has their own taste but seriously a 1 series over an M3? Side by side which appeals to you more? Because in the end it is your choice but I am just here trying to make you make the right choice. Best of luck to you!
Appreciate 0