View Single Post
      08-28-2012, 03:20 AM   #100
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Awesome thread

I've modded my 335i to a point where it hurts But now it's just the perfect blend between a daily driver and a track toy. I can slap the semislicks on for a trackday and take my daughter to school the next day. Not many cars can achieve that.

However, when I decided to get the 335i vs the M3 three years ago, there's no way I had planned to mod the car to this extent. Other factors were more important: fuel consumption (I can't live with a car that consumes 16l/100 in daily driving), no torque (I like the feel of turbo engines), higher maintenance and insurance costs. The //M just didn't offer me enough "plus-value" to overcome these shortcomings.

So $35k in mods later, I guess the extra fuel costs wouldn't have been so dramatic ;o) But when I do the math, it would at the very least take the following mods to make the M3 equal or superior to my 335i:

Supercharger $15k
BBK $7k
Seats, interior mods $4k
Suspension $3k
Exhaust $2k
Wheels $2k

In the end it really wouldn't have been cheaper. Would I be happier with such a modded M3? Possibly. Do I envy a stock M3? No way. Cars I envy now would be the 997 GT3 or the Z06. But that's a different topic

My verdict after three years in the E9x scene is: out of the box the M3 offers the better package, at a cost though. The N54 335i has alot of potential but needs substantial mods to turn it into a real sports car. But modding is part of the fun and I've met great people through this hobby!
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0