View Single Post
      03-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #1141
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0.02eurocents View Post
Oh come on... BMW is a corporation, and their shareholders demand profit. They are not a charity. I mean, looking at THAT price and the dollar exchange rate, I am guessing that BMW makes no profit at all on cars delivered to North America. They are probably just serving the market to keep the loyal customers and hope to make a few dollar/euros later on in parts and maintenance.
You, sir, are wrong. Dead wrong.

Go spec up a $70k 550i, and then check the ED invoice on the car. I guarantee you that it will be very close to $60. And yes, BMW does indeed sell cars within less than $1k of invoice.

The profit per car on an M3 is likely to be even higher than a 550i. BMW would lose no money if they sold him a car at $60k. In fact, I'll bet true cost of an M3 is much less than $60k. After all we know for a fact that true cost of a 335i is much less than $34k - because that is ED invoice on a 335i. No way in firey hell an M3 costs them a whopping $26k+ more to produce than a 335i. In fact, an M3 may well have $26 of profit in it. I would not doubt that at all.

Quote:
That care spec'ed on the german BMW site goes for about 60k or 62k in EURO (some option packages are different so not completely equal setup was possible.). At today exchange that comes down to about 92k dollars... one of the reasons I will never buy a german here in Germany.
Yep - and comparing prices across regions is a process that is frought with fallacy. But its true, for as much BMW makes on each M3 sale in the US, they will make a whole sh*t-load more off the same sale on the other side of the pond.
Appreciate 0