12-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #72
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
An opinion can be wrong. "I think a Ford Mustang is faster than a Z06" That is just wrong, and the idea that the M3 is of better build quality is also wrong, according to the statistics. Obviously the Gt-P isn't on there, but you said Ford in general.
i'm going to have to continue to disagree...i see your point on an opinion being wrong when it comes to things that have factual evidence. we know that a ford mustang is not faster than a Z06, you are correct. but when it comes to something like design or quality i think thats a preference that can't be based on numbers or surveys. the report that you posted talks about assembly line defects, it doesn't assess the overall quality or design of the GT-P or the M3. Just because a Lincoln TownCar is good doesn't mean the same for the GT-P. Similarly, just because the X5 is good doesn't mean that the M3 is good. Basically, even though the Ford plant has a low ratio of defective vehicles per each 100 that come off the line it is still possible that these vehicles are not of high quality.

the civic/M3 analogy in the previous post also supports this point. considering that a civic is a lot less complex than an m3 in overall parts and design, it is reasonable to assume that Honda would have to make less effort at their plant to produce civics without defects than BMW would have to make to ensure that M3s are produced without defects. this could potentially mean that the Honda plant has a higher quality rating than the BMW regensburg plant because it has less defects per each 100 vehicles. but you'd be an idiot to think that means a civic is of better quality and design than an M3 (i'm not talking about reliability here).

maybe i went too far with my ford comment in the OP, maybe not. sorry if i offended you with that one. i'm still going to go out on a limb here and say that I think BMWs are better than Fords and that Fords are not very well made cars (but i've never driven or even seen a GT-P in person, so its totally subjective here). I know that this is very generalized statement and could be considered car racism. Still, my personal experience with three Ford cars has lead me to believe otherwise. the two BMWs i've owned, on the otherhand, have been outstanding. maybe its just luck or my experience, but thats about all i have to go on. its just my opinion and my .2 cents.

cheers
Appreciate 0