View Single Post
      08-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Now that I watch the Clarke Cayman qualifying lap again, I don't see early apexing either--at least not in most of the turns. Probably what I was noticing was his approach to T9/"The Off-Camber": it does seem like he hugs the inside curbing through here, but maybe that's where there's more grip. I do know that the late-apex/"safe" HPDE line through T9 has you stay out very wide to the right prior to initiating the turn due to the tricky mid-corner camber shift as the track rejoins the NASCAR straight, and also due to the very limited runoff on track-out. My most recent time at the Glen an instructor rode along and had me turn into 9 a lot earlier than the traditional HPDE/school line, and it worked well, but I was a bit apprehensive about it at first. Even that approach wasn't as tight or curb-hugging as Clarke's line in the video, though.

Again, though, not sure how I jumped from noticing this line through T9 to seeing "early apexing most turns."

I did notice on watching it again that Clarke has a bit of a wiggle and correction on entry to the downhill left-hand T6. I wonder if this was due to a bit of downhill trail-braking, which could make the back end come around as he describes in his turn-by-turn analysis on the linked website.
From what I have seen is that most instructors tend to teach the traditional school conservative type lines not the more agressive type race lines that allow faster lap times.I teach the race type lines and to this point I have never had a great issue with students having a problem with doing this.If they want to be quick they will need to know this at some point and I feel it is safer to do this for both the student & instructor.
Appreciate 0