08-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #43
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am not disputing the cars performance capabilities whatsoever, but when you try to package supercar performance into a car costing under $100k, something has to give. I would buy a used 911 turbo before a bought a new GTR. I do recognize that the GTR is in a completely different performance league than an M3, objective speaking.

In the end, however, what really turned me off from the GTR was the styling, both interior and exterior. Funny thing is, I LOVE the styling of the 370z. If only the GTR had looked a little more smooth and sweeping with a little more Infiniti influence to the interior. What I do like is the Japan-only Egoist Package. Now that is how the interior of the GTR should be.

Here's how I would change the GTR:

1. Smoother and more flowing front air damn. Looks too choppy and "industrial". Again, it is all business, no art. Functional, but not elegant.

2. Painted lower trim. I just hate the two-tone thing.

3. Rear trunk lid shotened by 2-3 inches. This would, IMO, give better overall proportions to the car.

4. Tapered in trunk area, like they with the latest Mustang, and like they do with the 370Z. I really dislike how fat the rear end is.

5. Better integrated rear deck-lid spoiler. The current one looks very boy-racer like.

6. Less busy rear lower valence.

7. How about just some dual exhaust tips exiting in the center. Creating four 4" exhaust tips from a single exhaust pipe is really ricey.

8. Better looking engine bay

9. Better sound insulation

10. A more continuous dashboard design where everything doesn't look so piecemeal. Better plastics/vinyl, especially in the center console area.

11. Egoist interior should be standard.

12. Some nicer color choices, both interior and exterior.

There, I think that about covers it.

The GTR will always get a lot of attention because of what it is, and it's extroverted design, but then, Lady Gaga gets a lot of attention too.

I know it's an incredible machine, but it's just not for me, and I have really tried to get myself to like the car ever since it came out, but I just can't justify that kind of money for something that I don't love.

In contrast, there are only 3 things I would want different on my M3.

1. Wider factory tires

2. A better weighted shifter

3. Slightly more midrange torque.

Everything else about the car, to me, it just right, and the design is flawless.
Well most of those are subjective and aesthetic. The interior has been toned down with darker colors and improved leather stitching in the dash. I believe sound insulation has also been improved. I had a 997tt a couple years ago. I don't think the quality was any better and the interior was boring in comparison. If you are cross shopping the two, with the porsche you would be paying for the badge. That's not as important for me. My 911 wasn't as fast either. I agree that the Z has nice lines, but there is a little too much cutting corners in terms of quality to keep it affordable, mainly the interior. I don't think the Egoist fits the character of the car. It's way too gaudy.

Last edited by erio; 08-21-2011 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0