View Single Post
      09-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #31
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
It's important to make informed decisions. In this case, it's very important to recognize the difference between soaking a cold engine in a tub of liquid methanol and spraying a finely atomized, properly metered mist 1 foot upstream of the intake manifold. The latter will not leave residual methanol stagnant on any aluminum engine component on either side of the throttle body. It will vaporize completely in the combustion chamber as you would expect of any alcohol (methanol, ethanol, etc,.)

I don't change my oil any more frequently when running methanol. But then again, I actually apply proper design/control to my systems. I use two smaller nozzles (not 1 big one). They aren't mounted in the manifold. They spray only when the engine is up to temp. And only the volume that they are supposed to. They aren't still spraying after the throttle body is closed. And they aren't spraying excessively when airflow is low. If you threat methanol like a fuel (which is what it is) and not like a garden hose, there is absolutely no downside to running it. In fact, it will not only keep your engine cleaner but also result in less wear and tear through knock/temp reduction.

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 09-14-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0