11-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
It seems like this would only be a downside if you were revving all the way to 8400 RPM before shifting. Maybe I'm in the minority, but only when I'm going balls out do I get up into the 8000 RPM range. In daily driving, I'm shifting in the 4-5k range. Thus, in daily driving, it seems like there would only be an advantage.

Also, even going balls out, would not the "downsides" of the 3.45 be mitigated by raising the rev limit to 8600 RPM, giving me 200 more RPM to stay in the same gear if I wanted?
Are you "worried" about the lack of performance in your car when daily driving and consistently staying below 5000 rpm? Why do you need a diff to make a car "faster" when you are not interested in extracting the maximum available performance already available in the car? I guess if you just want "results" in a single gear and only in a specific (low) rpm range then sure, go for a altered differential gear ratio. The car should feel and be a bit faster (better acceleration) under such very limited conditions.

I guess I just don't really understand this desire. I also don't really understand folks hesitation to redline their car. I also don't do not buy the whole "lack of torque in the M3" nor the lazy driver phenomena (again not wanting to downshift and not wanting to redline even when wanting maximum go). Thus the FD mod or not debate is very closely related to the torque vs hp, "lazy driver" and FI vs NA debates. They are facets of the same basic phenomena.

If you want a car that you don't need to redline and don't need to choose the best gear possible to get her to go, you'd definitely be better of with a 335i. You'll also probably like the new M3/M4 better than I will.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0