09-08-2008, 01:46 AM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Thanks for being straightforward and honest in your opinions, always appreciated. However, when it comes to Stoptech flexing that is a rumor I believe we can put to rest. As it's been proven that Brembo flexes more, Stoptech has a bridge that minimizes deflection so Stoptech does in fact flex less than Brembo. Not just a little stiffer, but twice as stiff! But Brembo would argue and quite rightfully so that flexing is not an issue with their calipers so there a point where it's good enough. So if people are complaining that Stoptech flexes, those same people should be complaining that Brembo flexes. In truth, they both have some amount of deflection but it would be insignificant. We're really getting into diminishing returns.
Good information. An obsession with flex can absolutely be a case where the law of diminishing returns come into play. Especially when in the realm of a street car that you take on the track. I have often pondered the question of who makes "the best" BBK and it sounds like you have pondered the exact same thing. It even sounds like you can point to some testing with real data, which I would love to see. Do you have a reference? Heck any reference to any actual comparisons among the major suppliers would be great. Perhaps I am getting too OT here but heck this happens all the time in a good discussion. So here goes.... I'd love to see a thorough test of a bunch of BBKs for a particular car. Perhaps the order of which system is "best" would not be identical if you changed vehicles, so you would have to just pick a car. Anyway some great criteria to use (not in any particular order) would be the following:
  • Weight
  • Fade resistance
  • Temperature gain during stops (which is related but not identical to the bullet point above)
  • Swept area
  • Cold stopping distances
  • Hot stopping distances
  • Brake feel/modulation
  • Brake balance (front/rear)
  • Variety of pads available (from street to track day to race)
  • Amount of brake dusting (not a big deal for race guys but for any one who gives even a tiny crap about looks and maintenance this is factor)
  • Longevity
  • Ease of pad changes
  • Ease of other maintenance
  • Required rim diameter
Appreciate 0