swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
I don't think so. R8 is not on par with the M3. M3 is on par with the RS4. R8 is on par with the 911 and Vantage. Right now the M3 is neck and neck with a two year old RS4
First +1 lucid on your post about the need for car to be the most fun and involving on the street and on the track. From the preliminary reveiws thus far the M3 is the clear winner here. However, since we all like to engage in a "battle of the specs." I get to that. The above is absolutely false. Preliminary braking, acceleration, ring times etc. place the M3 at or exceeding the AM Vantage, Carerra 911S and R8. The RS4 from a pure performance perspective will not be a problem for the M3. Most of the "mini-reviews" that have been in favor of the RS4 or have placed it close to the M3 give it "points" for 4 doors, looks, cost of ownership, wet performance and other totally subjective criteria. When you stick to performance it is crystal clear which car is the winner even without a full test. Last but not least those Audi fans criticising the performance of the M3 on "bad" roads should reconsider your definition of bad. If bad means bumpy, uneven, undulating, etc., again the M3 has been called more comfortable and sure footed in such conditions. If the surface degrades to smooth and dry but with some traction problems again the M3 (despite the AWD) was found to offer better cornering speeds and more ultimate traction. Of course for race like driving in wet or snowy conditons there will not be much of a competition. If you want to or have to buy a performance car for these conditions all I can do is offer my condolences... (unless of course you are a winter rally driver...)

OK last but not least, BMW and Audi and others are always playing leap frog. I won't be suprised if the RS5 if more powerful and faster in many circumstances than the M3, after another cycle it will switch again. Nothing new nor suprising here.

One thing I can say as a real + to Audi is that the RS4 motor was truly revolutionary wheras the M3 motor is clearly evolutionary. BMW is definitely a bit behind even given the typical leap frog pattern here. There is not excuse for the M3 not having the efficiency and performance improvements from DI.

+1 for good competition in this segment, great for all of us!
Appreciate 0