01-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #32
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Billionaire? There is only 400 or so in the world...

I think you need to get out of the clouds and be a little more realistic. If you are a millionaire in college that is self made; you will never have issues with connects or frankly issues with anything
(at that point you can be employing people if you play your cards right and have a proper mindset and as long as you are not an idiot). The last thing that I would be looking for is to work for someone who I know will do little for me at that point other than take advantage of my talents. Yeah, I can make money for them but I make a whole lot more money for myself at that point.

As far as the "scummy comment", obviously that's a little far fetched but we all know how financial services companies make their money...
Just because you have a million dollars doesn't mean it buys you connections and favours with anybody; it just gets more than your foot past the door. And I wish having a million dollars was enough to employ people. At least not here in Canada. Unless, of course, you meant leveraging that million against bank loans.

And lastly, you really ought to be less greedy with your talents. Making a million (in comparison to what people in GS make) is not a life-achievement in the financial industry. A millionaire can't afford the millionaire life-style. You need to be a multi-millionaire to do that. Using your talents in the markets, getting your foot through the door, you might as well use it to make good money in the industry and "be someone with money" and not just "somebody with money".