Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2008 M3

Garage List
2004 Corvette Z06  [0.00]
2004 GT3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
If you are talking carbon fiber on the GT3 - well - youre talking apples and oranges here. So stop trying to compare. Additionally the GT3 carbon fiber are like 12k a set of rotors? Again - no comparison price wise.

If you are talking standard Iron GT3 brakes vs M3 - i'd have to say that the M3 brakes do compare favorably. However, I don't know how they compare on a track with fade issues. But the Porsche Braking systems (brembo) are known for their track prowess... I have tracked my GT3 - I have NOT tracked my M3 yet. So I cannot say that the M3 is immune to fade. I have heard that it does suffer from it. Which would be dissapointing. But I can say that under 100% braking - The m3 does stop pretty damn quick. So much so that my friend who owns a carbon fiber 997 GT3 was pretty much stunned when he asked me for a "brake test" from 80mph. I was also pleasantly surprised as I had not done a brake test from 80 yet either.

I am not sure that the number of pistons equates to better braking in all circumstances either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulGT3 View Post
I dont buy it I have never had a M3 out brake my GT3 anywhere and in most cases if I am going to over take a BMW I can count after he brakes several counts then I brake and I can go deeper.
There is a reason that no other performance manufacturer uses this set up.
The most seasoned mechanics in the tracking wolrd out here (and I have 6 tracks
to choose from here with Willow Springs being 50 minutes from my house) have
told me when I got my Z4M, make sure you change the brakes.In fact if it was good
you would see racing setups with this setup and I have NEVER seen it. Only on
stock BMWs at the track have I seen this. If you look around at the track I would say
40% of them have Brembos
The stock brakes are fine for street but even the BMW performance brake upgrade is a multipiston setup

Happiness isn't around the corner - it IS the corner!
Appreciate 0