View Single Post
      05-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #46
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlin303 View Post
I would go with the BBK. Yes, it will depreciate, but neither choice is a good _investment_ IMO. I will get more actual enjoyment from the BBKs (and the M as a whole), whereas the Panerai will do the same thing my $100 one will, with an acceptable margin of error.

As for the discussion of if the BMW is a luxury item like the Panerai, it is not a good comparison. The difference in function from an Accord to an M3 is huge. From a Panerai to a Timex, not a large functional difference. The M is a luxury item, but you are also getting function for the $ you are paying. A nice timepiece on the other hand, is much more about appearance than function.

I agree that it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks other than the OP. I don't ever see buying a timepiece for myself worth more than a few hundred dollars, but I don't hang with a crowd that expects me to either. In fact, if many of them knew that watch was worth more than a few hundred, I would be surprised.

On the other hand, owning the M has nothing to do with what others think for me. I bought it because I like to enjoy what I drive. If it was ugly and neon green, I would enjoy it just the same.

Just my $0.02
So funny to read these posts that are almost mirror images of the trash the narrow-minded watch guys say about car lovers.

It really boils down to "getting it" or not. Funny how in your mind the difference between an Accord and an M3 is huge, but any watch is just a watch. Gee, I wonder if you're into cars or watches?

A BMW gets you from A to B about the same as any other car. Yes, it has attributes I love (why I own one) but it's "transportation" to most people. Some people love the "magic" that comes from hundreds of tiny pieces humming along together and keeping time well within the COSC standard. Others say, I'll take a quartz Casio or use my cell phone. Psst, it's not just about telling time. But again, whatever floats your boat. Just try to be tolerant of others with hobbies different than yours. I can only imagine this tread if the choice was a custom pistol or a BBK.

Love your last point the best. Your friends wouldn't know how expensive your watch might be, but you drive an M3 just to please yourself. Not looking for a status symbol even a little bit?
Aside from Rolex, that plasters the world with ads, the best watches on the planet have zero name recognition with 99.9% of the public. I'd say someone wearing one of those is a guy that really doesn't care what others think of his possessions, especially compared to the average BMW owner.

Last edited by BigHat; 05-16-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0