07-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
if you leave MDM on then think of it as an excersice in being so smooth with the car and rolling on the throttle so gentle as to not having it kick in. I think mashing the throttle and then waiting for MDM to release it is a bad habit to practice.
Hmmm...who said I saw mashing the throttle (not sure if you directed your post at me or DJ9 by the way although we seemed to have a similar experience)? If you read my post, you'll see that I was mentioning a scenario where I slowly begin throttle steering the car and naturally it would start sliding a little but nothing out of control or undesired. My instructor's first comment of the day was that I did throttle steering well. I don't think there is anything wrong with that as long as the car doesn't start sliding around because you just floored it and you are about to lose it. As DJ9 is saying, MDM kicks in regardless. It just doesn't seem to like the wheels sliding for an extended period of time. That said, being smooth surely is a good thing and helps, but being smooth to the entent that MDM is kept at bay might mean slower exit speeds. Did you use MDM at the track? What was your experience like?