View Single Post
      01-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

I've run both the Challenge and the Fabspeed. They're both great products that work and fit well. The early Fabspeed pipes were not as nice (with the off the shelf x section) but the newer ones with the more gradual crossover, fit perfectly.

Both are modular, the Challenge with a bolt / nut flange and gasket, the Fabspeed by using a clamp on option that works with stock primary cats or Fabspeeds high flow cats.

Fabspeed:
- Cheaper
- fits great
- high flow cat option
- doesn't replace as much of the stock piping (I'm not convinced the hydroformed sections are a restriction, but they are ugly)

Challenge:
- replaces all of the funky bends
- catless option (Challenge's high flow cat version requires replacement of the entire unit, since it moves the only cats down where the secondaries are)
- more expensive
- gaskets will need to be replaced if removed often (although are a lot less likely to leak than a clamp solution)

However... I'm not quite sure why anyone would spend the money when the turner test pipes are so much cheaper and give more power, etc. For the price of the Fabspeed new, you can buy Turner Test pipes and a Delet-R from Akrapovic to keep the CEL off. Yes, it won't pass inspections, since OBD-2 readiness won't ever complete... But, you can always get a tune.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I ended up with the Turner Test pipes on my cars. (only on the track of course.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0