07-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #62
Bleen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
I'm sorry but can confidently say you are not a guy car if you think an electric car may suit you one day.

P.S. I could drive 2-300 miles in a half day, then what. Electric cars are still way out there and not the answer. What do we do w/ all the used batteries. Know how much a battery cost? This is also an extremely high voltage system. Additionally, the initial cost is never realll realized in most cases.
Ok, I'm not a guy car.
But maybe I'm a car guy?

So at the end of the day, for you, a car has to have a gas engine? Otherwise it's not a car? Talk about being narrow minded.

So due to the lack of intelligent responses to my answers, you proceed to attack me by saying that somehow my knowledge/love for vehicles is not up to par. Really grown up...

What do you mean electrics are "way out there"? Just because you say something is not the answer, does not mean it's not... you have to back your claims with a "because....".

What do we do with all used batteries? WHEN they deplete, around ~500 thousand miles (when is the last time you saw a gas vehicle with that amount of miles), then we recycle them!
EDIT: Source for 5000 cycles @ less than 1/2 range (100 miles) = 500000 miles, meaning ~18% range decrease AT that time: http://mtrl1.me.psu.edu/Document/ZhangY_JES_2009.pdf

"RECYCLING

At the end its usable life, the cells and pack could, by law, be disposed in a landfill. The pack contains neither heavy metals nor toxic materials. While the components could be thrown away, Tesla has implemented a recycling strategy which reuses or recycles over 60% of the battery. Once pack production volumes increase, further recycling steps become profitable and the recycling percentage increases to 90%. The components recovered in the recycling process are valuable which creates a financial incentive for recycling."

Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/roadster/technology/battery

Regarding range: How long is your commute? You never answered this.
IF your commute is longer than 265 miles, then yes, gas is probably your better choice IF you want to drive for more than ~3.5 hs without stopping. And/or you live in the middle of nowhere, where there won't be any supercharging/battery swap stations.
As these roll out, you can either:
1-rest for 30 minutes and get 1/2 of your range back or
2-swap your battery in 90 seconds

Oh, (1) is free, by the way.

For commutes that are around 1/2 of the range (~130 miles), you'd be saving a ton of money AND not polluting as much. You'd only need a fast charger at home OR at work (not a Supercharger, just a regular fast charger).

Battery costs are expensive... so is a car engine. Point being?

Yes it's high voltage... and you're driving on top of a combustible liquid that's explosive in a gas car... point being?

What do you mean about initial cost? Cost of the car? Yes, this is one of the 2 reasons I don't have a Model S.

Last edited by Bleen; 07-05-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0