01-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
That is the worst time of year to go...All the shops are closed for at least 5 days, and u get thousands of people on the street, on EVERY street, setting off fireworks from 6pm till 7-8am EVERY morning...cant catch a cab (unless u fight for it), cant sleep, cant breathe, your ears will be ringing, AND the whole goddam city smells like gunpowder...the city already smells like smog and pollution shit w/o the fireworks..this makes it 100times worse!.....i lived in shanghai for 4 years, after the first 2 chinese new years spent there, i bolted out of town anytime there was a celebration of some sort...it would also drive my dogs crazy....restaurants are open tho...good luck!
lmao couldn't agree more. chinese new years is the worst time to be in china. everyone goes back home to their villages to visit their families and everything is closed. I spent 2+ years in shanghai as well and ill tell u the only things i've done during chinese new years was drink beer at home, eat mcdonalds, and then hit the foreign nightlife spots that still have some people left in them.

edit: i'm asian, learned to speak mandarin when I got there, and my elbows have been used on multiple occasion.

i'd like to add that there are pros and cons to being an asian foreigner in china.. you get harassed WAY less when walking through certain areas. if you can blend in, they won't be mr grabby hands all over your arms and shoulders trying to get your attention. i've seen white people being pulled around by the locals to buy some useless junk way too many times. a disadvantage is that if you dont speak chinese and u look like youre chinese, locals cant understand wtf is going on and sometimes look down upon you. kinda funny imo
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System

Last edited by mrgoochio; 01-24-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0