View Single Post
      07-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #150
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Thanks for the kind words, and not a stupid idea at all...that's a good idea. We aren't working on anything like that currently. Something of that sort would require a considerable approval and testing process to achieve. We are focused purely on superior track performance.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, IMO the two-piece discs are the biggest problem. The salt wedges between the iron disc and aluminum hat, and eats the aluminum. Unfortunately, that's true of all aftermarket BBK's with two-piece discs. That's why we frequently see OEM setups that use a dual-cast iron disc instead of the lighter aluminum hat design (like the new Z51 Corvette Stingray).

Personally, I think you northern guys really need to embrace the 'beater' lifestyle! Buy a mid-nineties Honda Accord for $1500-$2,000, slap some Blizzak's on it, and drive it like a rally car until spring! When I lived in LA I worked on the fringe of Compton. I left my Z06 at home and bought a $1,200 Civic wagon for my commute which I dubbed "The Compton Crawler." With a beater you can drive it through snow banks, never worry about squeezing into traffic, thrash it off-road, eat lunch in it, leave the keys in it...who cares as long as the heater works. Finally, if you stuff it, you can hand your keys to the tow truck driver and say, "Just keep it." There's something incredibly liberating about not caring one bit about the car you're driving (particularly if you're only driving it for a few months out of the year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
not a mechanical guy, so this may sound like a stupid question...... any possibility of offering high temp silicone compound dust boots to make this kit a lill bit more "weather friendly" as well as avoid them (the boots) burning up on track ??

thought I would ask since quite a few members here (including me) appear to be interested in this kit, but also daily drive their M3s including some exposure to snow/salt and road dirt/mud.....

Personally, I would only do a brake upgrade if I am able to use the upgraded brakes pretty much all the time, both for DD duties and track duty. I really don't have the time or really the patience to keep swapping between two dedicated brake set ups (regardless of the "off road only" labeling, which is usually more of a legal disclaimer anyways for all practical purposes)

great review though on the M3 listed here..... and pretty awesome looking car ... love the black wheels on a SG set up.... brakes sooo look at home on that one....

Last edited by jritt@essex; 09-19-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0