View Single Post
      09-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #91
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
This is the first comparo/review of the Boss where it didn't have a distinct advantage in 1/4 mile and track times. The only performance advantage the M3 has is MDM mode. Traction/tires must have been a huge factor (RS5 didn't do better in a hole shot?), or the track was bumpy and the live axle was struggling. Also isn't it the only 6 speed in the lot? It's the lightest car in the lot, with 2nd most HP. Something isn't adding up. Maybe the guy tracking it kept the RPM's bouncing off the limiter and didn't use the torque. Who knows.

The magazine gives a hint of anti-Boss biased. It starts off talking about the boss and the second sentence is something about dinking the boss for not having the creature comforts. Duh. Then it goes on to talk about the M3 for like 6 paragraphs.

I LOVE my M3 but I'm also a realist. The Boss has an edge in weight and power, some rediculous lateral G that eclipses the M3, and is purpose built for the track. Every magazine that has tracked it has lauded over it. It placed like 4th in the best drivers car. Driving feel, sure, give a nod to the M3.
So let me compare two other cars to give an analogy:

The Nissan GTR and the Porsche 911 Turbo S.

Relatively speaking, the GTR is about cheap speed and bang for the buck. The Porsche isn't really any faster but gives the same level of performance and much more refinement in almost every aspect of its execution. The price ratio between the GTR and 911 is also very similar to the Stang and loaded up M3.

So even if performance can be considered "equal" in an overall sense, the M3 gives you a far higher level of refinement, style, and class in all aspects of its design and engineering.